1907 - 1912
• Fourteen physicians form the Salem City Hospital Association and organize the first fund drive of its kind in the U.S., raising donations of $65,000 to construct a hospital.
• A second fundraising campaign raises an additional $35,000.
June 26, 1912
• Construction of the new hospital begins on what is now known as East State Street.
September 13, 1913
• Following a dedication ceremony, Salem City Hospital opens to accommodate 70 patients.
• A new wing is added, increasing the hospital’s capacity to 108 beds and 24 bassinets.
• The hospital continues to grow with the addition of a warehouse, power plant, laundry and pharmacy.
• Construction of the east wing increases the hospital's bed capacity from 108 to 150, and provides a chapel, lobby, outpatient waiting room and treatment rooms.
July 1, 1969
• Salem City Hospital merges with the Central Clinic and Hospital Association to form the 210-bed Northern Columbiana County Community Hospital Association.
1972 - 1978
• A major construction project results in an additional 42 patient beds; as well as a new outpatient diagnostic and emergency treatment department, an additional operating suite and expansion of the existing laundry facilities.
• The Northern Columbiana County Community Hospital Association undergoes a name change to become Salem Community Hospital (SCH).
• A 10,000 square-foot Emergency Department expansion is completed.
• The Columbiana Medical Center opens in Columbiana, housing satellite locations for hospital services and physicians’ offices.
• A $15.1 million construction project creates a three-story addition to the front of the hospital, the Salem Medical Center and a walkway spanning East State Street that unites the two structures.
• A new Central Plant is constructed on Pershing Street behind the main hospital building.
• The hospital opens its new Surgery Center with seven operating suites.
September 13, 2013
• SCH celebrates its milestone 100th anniversary of caring for our communities.
• Salem Community Hospital changes its name to Salem Regional Medical Center (SRMC). The new name acknowledges the hospital’s strong tradition of significant growth and expanded services, and reflects a continued commitment to providing medical services to the region as an independent, not-for-profit medical center.
• SRMC’s new 87-bed Patient Private Room Tower opens.
• The hospital opens its new Cancer & Infusion Center, Orthopaedic Bone & Joint Center and Outpatient Procedures department.
• The hospital’s new state-of-the-art Endoscopy Unit opens and includes enhancements to SRMC’s Outpatient Registration department and ground floor corridor.
• SRMC announces a strategic partnership with University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center (UHSCC) to offer world-class cancer care locally. The UHSCC at SRMC is launched to provide medical oncology services in the hospital’s recently expanded Cancer & Infusion Center.
• UHSCC at SRMC opens its new Radiation Therapy department featuring the region’s most advanced cancer-fighting technology, the Varian VitalBeam™ linear accelerator.